Court Staff Assistance
The following is a list of some things the court staff can and cannot do for you. Please read it carefully before asking the court staff for help.
To assist you, court staff can:
- Answer questions and explain how the court works.
- Tell you what the requirements are to have your case considered by the court.
- Provide you with samples of available court forms.
- Provide you with guidance on how to fill out forms.
- Usually answer questions about court deadlines.
- Provide you with the telephone number of the lawyer referral service.
Court staff cannot:
- Give you legal advice — only your lawyer can give you legal advice.
- Tell you whether or not you should bring your case to court.
- Give you an opinion about what will happen if you bring your case to court.
- Recommend a specific lawyer.
- Talk to the judge for you about what will happen in your case.
- Let you talk to the judge outside of the courtroom.
- Change an order issued by the judge.
- Please notify the court for any accommodations needed. For additional information on the New Jersey Judiciary or the municipal courts, please visit our Courts Website.