Borough Hall will close at 3pm Friday, May 24th in observance of Memorial Day and reopen Tuesday, May 28th

Home fires are preventable! The following are simple steps that each of us can take to prevent a tragedy.

Most Importantly:

  • Call 9-1-1 immediately in the event of fire or smoke.

  • Never use extension cords for portable heaters or any other appliances.

  • Follow the manufacturers use instructions when using portable or auxiliary heaters.

Cooking

  • Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time turn off the stove.

  • Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.

  • Position barbecue grills at least 10 feet away from siding and deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.

  • Keep a fire extinguisher available.

Electrical and Appliance Safety

  • Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.

  • If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.

  • Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.

Portable Space Heaters

  • Portable Space Heater Safety

  • Keep combustible objects at least three feet away from portable heating devices.

  • Buy only heaters evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).

  • Check to make the portable heater has a thermostat control mechanism and will switch off automatically if the heater falls over.

  • Only use crystal clear K-1 kerosene in kerosene heaters. Never overfill it. Use the heater in a well-ventilated room.

Fireplaces and Woodstoves

  • Inspect and clean woodstove pipes and chimneys annually and check monthly for damage or obstructions.

  • Use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.

  • Make sure the fire is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed.

Children

  • Take the mystery out of fire play by teaching children that fire is a tool, not a toy.

  • Store matches and lighters out of children’s reach and sight, preferably in a locked cabinet.

  • Never leave children unattended near operating stoves or burning candles, even for a short time.

More Prevention Tips

  • Never use a stove range or oven to heat your home.

  • Keep combustible and flammable liquids away from heat sources.

  • Portable generators should NEVER be used indoors and should only be refueled outdoors and in well ventilated areas.